The Canberra Times says “Canberra Burlesque Performer, Jazida, has a busy start to 2017″…. and boy are they right!!!
Building on from the 8 shows which I produced/co-produced last year, I’m launching a new series of shows for 2017!
I’m continuing to produce and MC Arabian Nights approximately once every 3 months at Polit Bar in Manuka. These are belly dance showcases, with no burlesque. These will be running on 27 January, 19 May, 11 August and 10 November in 2017. These shows feature local performer and special interstate guests. In 2016, we were lucky enough to have Jrisi and Jamil both join us from Sydney. 2017 has more wonderful interstate performers on the cards! Stay posted for more details! Tickets for sale through Eventbrite!
I’ve launched a new show at the LoBrow Gallery and Cafe! This will run on 28 January and if it’s a success, I may run a few more in the future! Stay posted! Tickets available through Eventbrite! While the gorgeous Camilla Cream is in town performing at High Brow at the LoBrow with us, she’ll teach at feather fan workshop which I’m facilitating at the Canberra Dance Theatre.
I’m very excited to be launching a new series of events which I’ve dubbed the “Party with Jazida” series! These events are fun parties! Each party will feature interactive fun and games, live performances including interstate guests (bit of burlesque, live music, drag, magic… anythings possible), costumes and best dressed competitions, themes and decorations through the venue and will be followed by an after party where you can kick on with the cast and crew! The parties booked for 2017 are The Alice in Wonderland Party on 10 February, The Pin Up Party on 16 June, the Rocky Horror Party on 20 October! Tickets available through Eventbrite!
While Lenore Noire and Rosetta Sterling are in town performing at The Alice in Wonderland Party, they will run some workshops which I am facilitating. Workshops on offer include: Mesmerising Make Up, Feather Fans for Neo and Pastie Making and Tassel Twirling.
I’m also continuing to run my classes at the Canberra Dance Theatre! First term back is a fan veil class and we’re working on a great little choreo to “Till it kills me” by Montaigne. Classes are $22 each (less with concession) and are open to everyone – students don’t even have to pre-book a term – just show up to a class and pay on the day! All students are guaranteed performance opportunities and a whole lot of fun!
Along with these new productions and classes in 2017, I’m excited about lots of other performing and teaching! We’re three weeks in to the year and I’ve already got back in to the swing of things! So far I’ve:
- Had a great bellydance shift (under my real name, as I always do outside of burlesque)
- Taught a jam-packed workshop for Ausdance ACT Move Up
- Taught a great workshop with as part of the Ghawazeemoon Bellydance School summer series
- Performed in “Creatures of the Night” at the National Portrait Gallery (3 dance acts and 3 live music numbers with Tammy Paks)
I’m also very excited for a few more things in the pipeline:
- I’ll be touring the Adelaide Fringe Festival! I’ll be part of both Red Light Confidential and Michael Wheatley and the Dirty Carpet Disco Band on 17, 18 and 19 February
- I’m collaborating with DJ Robot Citizen to put on a show at the Australian Mint as part of Enlighten on 3 March! Stay tuned for more details!
- I’m performing in Females on Form as part of the Bold Festival on 8 March.
- I’m performing and teaching at the Newcastle Bellydance Festival between 7 and 9 April
Outside of dance, I’ve also been busy making music! I’m continuing rehearsals with Inkbits as part of our Undresden Dolls/Dethroned Dullness collab and am also still making regular music with Tammy Paks! More musical performances to come as well!
If you’re interested in staying in the loop with my movements – productions, performances, classes, workshops and more! Make sure to follow me on facebook and instagram – or flick me an email and I’ll add you to a mailing list!